Penn and Seaborn, along with the Beasley Allen law firm and the law firm of Gray, Langford, Sapp, McGowan, Gray and Nathanson, reached a settlement on behalf of the parents of three small children who perished in an apartment fire on November 28, 2011.

The young children died as a result of inhaling toxic smoke, chemicals, and carbon monoxide. We filed a lawsuit against Walter Kidde and United Technologies Corporation, along with other defendants, due to the failure of the company’s ionization smoke detector to alarm in this tragedy.

The case gained worldwide attention on the horrific consequences of defective smoke detectors.

Because of Penn & Seaborn’s commitment that these precious children’s lives would not be lost in vain, we made certain that the settlement included requirements that will cause manufacturers of smoke detectors to improve their safety standards and save many lives in the future.